Thursday, September 18, 2008

Slacker

My brother tells me that I'm already becoming slack with this blog so he has pressured me into a post! It's not like I have anything else to do - I only have to work tonight, pack a family of 4 for a trip to the mountains for the weekend, and make sure a 3 year old doesn't hurt an almost 1 year old as he tries to pick him up by his head. I've told Carter over and over and over it's fine to help pick Cooper up (he loves to do this when Cooper is getting close to his train table because Cooper is more than likely about to dissassemble his elaborate track system in a matter of seconds:)) but that he needs to put his arms under Cooper's rather than around his neck before he lifts him up! That part is pretty key but he doesn't seem to be grasping it quite yet. Poor Cooper in the meantime but he seems to be handling it pretty well - fortunately they are always around me or Jamey when this happens so it's at least supervised lifting!

I can't begin to express in words how excited we are to be going to the mountains this weekend. We are going to my brother's NEW house for the first time and we haven't been up to visit in way too long. Carter has talked and talked about the brown house and has told everyone he knows that tomorrow is a "big day" for him because he is going to see Brian and Sarah in the mountains and because he has "water day" at school! Now if I can just get through my shift at work tonight, I can really look forward to this trip:)

Today a good girlfriend of mine had a bit of a hair dilemna and needed someone to watch her kiddos at the last minute while she had her hair appt. I was happy to help her as we weren't really doing anything but cleaning and packing this am AND because she has two of the cutest, sweetest little ones I've ever seen. Her daughter, Lucy, is almost 3 and she and Carter played really well together. They caught butterflies with Elefun, vacuumed with the corn popper, and ate probably a few too many snacks, but they were happy! It was actually nice to have a girl around for a change. She is just so much calmer than Carter and says such sweet things! She discovered Carter's treat bag of candy that he gets after he eats lunch and dinner and she said, "Oh, wow, this is wonderful!" It was about the cutest thing I'd ever heard - don't worry, Amy, she was not allowed to sample any candy! I didn't think you'd ever let her come back:) Her son Trigg is 9 months and is like a breath of fresh air. He is so laid back and was just content to watch the big kids and play with a few toys here and there. He honestly didn't make a peep (in a bad way) until his mommy got there and then he decided he'd show off for her. I don't know why they do this but I couldn't have asked for better behaved kids this morning! Cooper was taking his nap for most of their visit but he did get up for about 30 minutes while they were here and was pretty taken aback by all the action going on with more people in the house! He is feeling much better now and finally seems to be all better!

After Amy and her kids left, we ran to our second home of Chick-Fil-A to pick up some lunch. On the way home, Carter asked me why lemonade has limbs in it! I was obviously a little shocked by his question because he drinks sugar free lemonade at home like water so he has been exposed to it a lot but has never thought to ask this. I tried to explain to him that lemonade has lemon juice, sugar, and water in it but not actually "limbs"! I also tried to talk about how it's spelled like lemon rather than limb but I think I was way over his head! Another funny Carter story happened the other day when he was supposed to be taking a nap. Supposed to be is the key phrase there! He was kicking his door about as loud as he possibly could after only about 30 minutes into his nap time, which obviously made me super happy! I tried to ignore it for a few minutes as I became more furious every second because Cooper sleeps right across the hall and I was thinking he was going to wake him up! I couldn't take it anymore and went into his room and told him lots of things about staying in his room, but I did say something like, "I've got news for you, Carter if you don't stay in your room and be quiet during naptime...". I don't really know where that came from because it doesn't sound like me but I said it and left him to hopefully nap, which didn't happen but he was at least quiet! Later that night he was eating dinner and Jamey and I were standing in the kitchen talking. He turned right to me and said, "Mommy, what kind of news do you have for me?" It was one of those things you probably had to be there for but pretty cute - I just had to laugh!

1 comment:

Book Worm said...

Well....thanks for bragging on my kids for me! I'm so glad they were good for you. You never know how they are going to be, especially with toddlers. If Lucy knows what one thing is, it's candy and she understands treat bags. Thanks for the stories and for watching my kids. I can now go about my life with no crazy jungle stripes dyed into my hair and no wacky big hair band cut. Whew!