I have a friend of a friend named Susan who always does this post entitled "Not Me! Monday" that is so cute! I love to read all the things she didn't do and that inspired me to check out the original source for "Not Me! Monday". This woman puts a crazy amount of time and effort into her blog but I was just skimming through her posts lastnight at work when I found this little poem and it struck a chord with me. I feel like I'm always in a hurry to get on to the next task, like getting the boys up, coming up with things they'll actually eat rather than feed the dogs, finding things to entertain them, planning our day, cleaning the house, worrying about when I'll sleep after working, rushing them through baths, putting them to bed too quickly so I can come down and straighten up the toys, etc., etc. I'm worrying so much about all this insignificant stuff that I don't actually sit back and enjoy these times that will be a memory all too soon. I hope so much that I can keep this poem in the back of my mind and make a conscious effort to just relax and enjoy my two precious boys (and husband, of course!).
Song for a Fifth Child.
Mother, O Mother, come shake out your cloth,
Empty the dustpan, poison the moth,
Hang out the washing, make up the bed,
Sew on a button and butter the bread.
Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She's up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.
Oh, I've grown as shiftless as Little Boy Blue,
Lullabye, rockabye, lullabye loo.
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due
Pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo
The shopping's not done and there's nothing for stew
And out in the yard there's a hullabaloo
But I'm playing Kanga and this is my Roo
Look! Aren't his eyes the most wonderful hue?
Lullabye, rockaby lullabye loo.
The cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow
But children grow up as I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down cobwebs; Dust go to sleep!
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.
Thanks, Susan for leading me to this!

4 comments:
I read McMama and that post really hit me hard too! I can echo a lot of what you said here (love that I'm not the only one who's dog eats VERY well!) I am totally with you....we need to treasure every minute:)
You're welcome! MckMama is a very good writer and very inspiring. This poem is so true and I need to learn how to let go more so that I don't miss these fleeting moments! Hope your boys are doing great!
Love it. I want a link to that blog!
Love this poem Helen!
Post a Comment