The rest of the week was pretty uneventful except for my car, currently known as the neighborhood hot rod, needing $400 worth of repairs on the power steering pump. It made this horrible, loud noise as soon as it was cranked that reminded me (and our neighbors, hence the nickname) of a souped up Honda Civic! It is now repaired and back to normal so thankfully we now have one operational car, but we'll get to that in a second.
My parents and Brian and Sarah came to spend the weekend with us and go the the Carolina bball game Saturday against Ga. Tech. We had a blast Friday and played Wii much later than any of us ever planned to stay up and then were ready for the game come Saturday. After being down 20, the Heels got back in it and actually had the lead a few times, only to lose by 2 when it was all said and done. Needless to say, we were all pretty bummed but made the most of it and enjoyed our last night together with more wine, Wii, and good food.
I had to work Sunday day shift so I took Jamey's car so I wouldn't wake my parents up in the bonus room at 5:45am with the garage door. I'll start by saying I really hate driving his car because it just seems so much bigger than mine! It was pouring down rain and miserable but I was cruising along just fine until that lovely rain on the road got the best of me and Jamey's car unfortunately. I was going about 60mph and getting passed left and right but his back tires slipped and I fishtailed all over I40, only to end up spinning, hitting the guardrail diagonally from the front passenger side, then bouncing off and hitting it again with the back passenger side and skidding to a stop up against it in the median. Initially I was obviously shocked but pretty calm and called 911, told them I wasn't hurt and was dispatched to the highway patrol. I talked to the dispatcher, told her what happened and where I was and she told me she'd get someone there right away. I called Jamey next and lost all the composure I had as soon as he answered his phone! He was so sweet and much more worried about me than his car and came right then to come sit with me and wait on the state trooper. I'm so thankful he did because it only took the state trooper 2 hours to get there - never mind I had just had a wreck in a big car and was stuck up against the guardrail facing oncoming traffic with my emergency flashers on praying no one would hit me! Had I not had Jamey there, I would have been absolutely livid to have been left in such an awful situation. Despite his tardy appearance, the trooper still gave me a ticket for "failing to main lane control!" I'm a bit of a grammar freak on some things so it totally ticked me off for him to not only give me a ticket, but to also have it not make sense!
This has been a terribly long explanation of what happened so I won't make it much longer but in all the negative that has happened, I feel like the most fortunate person around. I have had so many neighbors, friends, family, and co-workers call to check and make sure I'm ok, to see what they can do, etc., that it's been almost overwhelming. To know that so many people are genuinely concerned about me is such an amazing and awe-inspiring feeling! Had my parents and brother not been here, Jamey would've had to get the kids up to come help me and we all know what fun it would've been to have two sleepy, hungry, confused boys sitting in a car on I40 for two hours! I wish it didn't take almost catastrophic things like this to make me realize how truly lucky I am to have such an awesome family, caring friends and neighbors, but more than anything a husband who would do anything on Earth for me. Jamey, you've been unbelievably awesome through all of this and I feel like the luckiest mom, daughter, sister, wife, and friend in the world so thank you so much to all of you.
Here are takes 1,2 and 3 of a family photo shoot on Saturday night!



1 comment:
Glad you're okay Helen!
Post a Comment