Monday, October 20, 2008

Comic Relief

This is one of those stories that I'm hoping I will feel better about after I've told it - I certainly don't feel like "mom of the year" at the present time! This weekend Carolina played UVA in Charlottesville, which for some reason is a game we just can't win. The last time we won at Virginia I was Cooper's age to give you an idea how long it's been! It was a close game but Carolina ended up losing in overtime, which was miserable to say the least! As soon as it was over, Jamey went outside to get out a little frustration and I just turned the TV off and the radio on to listen to our postgame stuff. Carter started crying and saying that he wanted to watch the Tarheels and just wouldn't stop saying it. I told him we lost and that the game was over but he just kept going. Here comes the mom of the year moment...I told him (and I'm so ashamed!) "Our team sucks, buddy, and the game is OVER!" I never say that word but was so mad about the game that I let my temper (who, me?!) get the best of me. Carter never mentioned what I said all weekend but decided that preschool would be the perfect time to try out his new phrase!

When Jamey (thank goodness it was him and not me) went to pick Carter up today, his teacher Miss Stacy told him that Carter provided the comic relief for the class! Out of nowhere Carter told his class and teachers "Our teams sucks because Brandon Tate hurt his knee!" I think the class must have been pretty shocked because I'm sure they laughed which just added fuel to the fire for Carter to keep saying it! I guess he eventually stopped when they reiterated that "suck" isn't a nice word and that we really shouldn't say it. I'm so glad he listened to them and stopped but I sure feel like an awful mommy for saying such a thing around my child! It's just more proof that Carter picks up on every little thing we do and say - I guess I need to be the one to go outside when we lose and not Jamey! Hopefully we won't have another opportunity to test it out, though. As for the Brandon Tate part, he asks me all the time where Brandon Tate is and why he's hurt but I don't know why he felt the need to add that part to the end of my comment but he did that on his own!

The pictures are from Noah and Austin's visit and from a playdate with Sarah and Cole. Hope you enjoy them! I know this is a ridiculously long post but I just have to add that Jamey should be "Daddy of the Year" for yesterday. I had to work all day but Jamey took Carter and Cooper to church, the grocery store, the park, and was making us a homemade pizza when I got home around 7:45. I was so proud to hear all that he did and he was still in a good mood when I got there! I think that's pretty impressive and his pizza was the best yet!












2 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm sorry but I couldn't help but laugh at your "sucks" story. I think if that is the worst thing you've ever said in front of Carter that he has repeated you SHOULD win the "mom of the year" award! I can only imagine what will come out of Cole's mouth one day. Wish you were at work tonight with me!

Book Worm said...

Cuuuuute pics! I love the one of Cooper going down the slide and that "sucks" story is awesome.