Friday, August 30, 2013

Watch Out Kindergarten!

Tuesday was a big day for this kiddo!  Cooper had his first day of Kindergarten this past Tuesday.  He was nervously excited as the time to go approached!  He knew he only had to go one day this week so I think that made it much easier on all of us!  We sent Carter to his class and off we went to the kindergarten building.  We only knew which classroom number to go to, not which teacher he would start with so we were both relieved to see the room we were assigned to was Mrs. Harris, who was Carter's kindergarten teacher!  As soon as I saw it was her room and told Coop, he pumped his fist and said, "Yes!"  We walked in and put away his things, filled out a little bit of paperwork and then it was time to say bye.  Poor Coop didn't realize I was leaving him (he thought I stayed with him the whole day!) so that was harder than I thought it would be to explain to him he'd be there all day and I'd pick him up in carpool with Carter later that afternoon.  Once he asked me a million questions and seemed ok with the situation I left and had a lonely day with just Hudson.  We stayed busy but my mind was always on my Cooper at school.  I could hardly wait to pick him up that afternoon.  I told Jamey I felt like a kid on Christmas morning sitting on the steps waiting to get the go ahead to come down and see your presents!  Seeing Carter and Cooper walking out of school together proudly and hopping in the car was priceless and an image I hope I won't soon forget.  They were both just so happy and proud and couldn't wait to tell me about their day.  Fortunately Cooper loved it and said it was "way more funner" than he thought it would be!

The first day, kindergarteners rotate through all the kindergarten classes and meet each teacher and assistant and are evaluated in the process so he doesn't have an actual assigned teacher until after the first day.  I was excited he was able to start his morning with Mrs. Harris because I knew that would make him feel more comfortable to have a little familiarity but that didn't mean she would be his teacher for the year.  He liked Mrs. Harris and another teacher, Mrs. Lipe, the most so we were hopeful to go to meet the teacher and have his name on one of their doors!

Ready for his first day!




 I guess the sun was a little too bright!




We went for Meet the Teacher this afternoon and were so excited to see that Cooper has Mrs. Harris!  Hudson came along too and loved checking out the reading nook and loft and playing with the baby dolls in the class!  Cooper was shy but happy to know he had Mrs. Harris for the year and now he's so excited to start his first year of real school!  I'm so proud of my big boy for being brave this week and I'm so happy that he's actually excited about kindergarten now!












No comments: