I hope one day Cooper is so happy and comfortable in the water that we can all look back and laugh at where my little Michael Phelps started. He had his first of seven swim lessons this morning and was absolutely petrified. He talked to us about it last night when we were tucking him in and told us he didn't want to go and was really scared he was going to sink:(. We reassured him he would be perfectly safe and that his swim teacher would be nice and would help him do everything. He was still bargaining and reasoning to try and get out of it but we told him good night and hoped he wouldn't lose sleep worrying about it.
This morning he started almost immediately telling me he didn't want to go but I tried to not make a big deal of it and told him we were going and he would have fun, end of conversation. I practically had to drag him onto the steps to get in the water once the time for lessons came and he was as teary and scared as he could be. This lesson was meant for kids that didn't even need prior water exposure so I knew it would be easy stuff he already knows how to do but watching him act so scared was an awful feeling. They started with blowing bubbles and easing into the water and then progressed to floating on their backs with the teacher's help and finished with putting their faces under and kicking with their face in once they mastered that. Cooper did all of it with no trouble but whined, cried, and begged me to let him get out and to take him home the whole time.
After his lesson we talked a lot about it and he just kept telling me how scared he was and that he wished Carter would've been there to help him. It was such a sweet, cute comment from him but once we talked a little more about it he came around and admitted that it was a little bit fun and that going back tomorrow might not be so bad. I guess we'll have to wait and see but I don't think things could go much worse than they did today so I'm hoping for a much happier experience tomorrow!
My scared little boy.
He did great at floating but didn't seem to enjoy it very much!
Love this happy face!

No comments:
Post a Comment