If I had a dime for every time I am asked what seems like an innocent and casual question, I would be a very rich person. From the grocery store, to school, to church, to anywhere in between, I doubt a day goes by that someone somewhere doesn't ask me this question in some form or fashion. Sometimes it's even asked as a compliment, like when people say our boys are just so precious that our daughter would have to be beautiful. WHEN ARE YOU TWO GOING TO TRY FOR THAT GIRL?!?!
It used to not really bother me. I used to just smile and shrug it off, telling them we are done and happy with what we have. While my answer is still the same, I'm a bit tired of answering it. The question itself, although I'm sure people don't mean it this way, comes across as if what we have, three boys, isn't enough or isn't sufficient. Like there's some void in our family because there isn't a female child. Did I want a daughter? Desperately. Do I still? Not at all. I didn't want a daughter so that I could play dolls or do girly things, I wanted a daughter only because of the close relationship I have with my mom. I wanted to have that with someone too and thought the only way to get that was to have a little girl.
Lucky for me, my three precious boys have taught me that isn't the case at all. Everyone thinks boys are just loud, rough and tumble balls of noise and energy when that just isn't true. Yes the noise level, mess and energy in our house from them occasionally makes my head spin but I'm ok with that. They are silly, smart, funny, loving, caring, and considerate little angels that God blessed us with loving and caring for and I wouldn't have it any other way.
What has surprised me so much in raising boys is how much they love. They love each other, they love their family, but selfishly what I've learned is they really love their mom. Cooper is the first one to tell me if he sees me even with just my hair down how pretty I am and how much he loves me but they all chime in. Jamey won't have even had a chance to turn around and look at me yet, but all three of them will be smiling and complimenting me on everything possible. They are also surprisingly affectionate and sensitive. Hugs and kisses are everyday occurrences and I love that so much. They say I love you to each other, to us, and to the rest of our family and do so frequently and deliberately.
These three boys of mine (4 actually including my dear Jamey) have made my life complete and perfect in ways I never imagined. The love you feel for your children is hard to put into words but the feeling of how much you know they love you back is indescribable. Thank you God for blessing our family with these three little angels.

No comments:
Post a Comment