Thursday, November 17, 2011

Nothing

This little poem came home with Carter after one of his first few days of school and I've been meaning to share it because I'm sure my friends can relate to the "nothing" response we often get from our little ones regarding school!

When children come home at the end of the day
the question they're asked as they scurry to play is
"Tell me, what did you do today?"

And the answer they give makes you sigh with dismay
"Nothing, I did nothing today!"

Perhaps nothing means that I played with Ben
or counted to ten with Suzy and Ken.

Maybe I painted a picture of red and blue
or heard a story about a mouse that flew.

Maybe I played in the housekeeping corner today
or went outside on swings to play.

Maybe today was the very first time
that scissors followed a very straight line.

Maybe I sand a song from beginning to end
or played with a special "brand new" friend.

When you're five or six and your heart has wings
"nothing" can mean so many things!

No comments: